Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Divergent by Veronica Roth (5/5 stars).

Title: Divergent
Author: Roth, Veronica
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Date Published: 03 May 2011
Genre: Young Adult/Fiction
Paperback: 487 pages
Rating: 5/5 stars



I started reading this before bedtime and it was a BIG mistake! I couldn’t put it down and I didn’t get any sleep at all!

In this dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions: Abnegation (the selfless, those who serve and put the needs of others first before theirs), Dauntless (the brave, the protectors of the city), Amity (the peaceful, the caretakers), Candor (the honest, the lawmakers), and Erudite (the intelligent).

The world that Roth has created is quite imaginative and politically volatile that soon, I found myself immersed in it. The Dauntless faction is fascinating, they travel by jumping off of moving train cars unto roofs, they wear black clothes and adorn their bodies with tattoos and piercings; they would do anything reckless and extremely dangerous.

Beatrice Prior (Tris) is the perfect heroine for me. Her journey to self-discovery started when she chose Dauntless as her faction where the initiation is brutal and to survive she must fight against those who are bigger and stronger than she is, not only that, they are also cruel and would not think twice about betraying a friend, but no matter how bruised she is, she conquers the day and you realize just how strong and smart she is.

Born in Abnegation faction, where selflessness is valued above all, on the day of the Choosing Ceremony, she realizes that she cannot stay, she’s not selfless enough, she questions a lot of things about their way of life, she always have, but one thing is making this decision so hard – her family. Switching factions is considered a betrayal. I think that young people will find it easy to relate to what she was going through as she decides. As we go into adulthood and individualization, we sometimes have to leave our family and what they taught us to face a lot of unknown things on our own and form our own beliefs.

The book is action-packed and I find myself holding my breath in some of the scenes like their fights during stage one of the initiation. When Tris beat up Molly, I didn’t think that she (Tris) has become cruel at all. She was raised by conservative parents, she is used to wearing clothing that would fully cover her skin and for them to snatch her towel, make her run naked then jeer at her is just vile. What Tris did was to vindicate her honor and I cheered for her when she was winning. She was blinded by her anger for a while but Four was there to save her.

Four is quiet, strong but not cruel, and I thought he was cute when he got drunk! Definitely crush-worthy, and I love his inked back. Their love story is cute and I like how he never treats Tris as a weakling.

Just when I thought that it couldn't get any thrilling than the last test of the initiation where Tris might be revealed as Divergent, Roth gives us scene after scene more cliffhanging than the last with a climax that left me dumbfounded, and it is only after reaching that train in the end that the heartbreaking moments sank in and I think how truly beautiful a parent's love is. 

Verdict:
Fast paced and exhilarating! If you haven’t read this yet, stop whatever it is you’re reading and grab the book! Can't wait for the next installment.


Next book on Review: