Thursday, January 5, 2012

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton (1/5 stars).

Title: Angelfire (Angelfire #1)
Author: Courtney Allison Moulton
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Date Published: 17 January 2012
Genre: Fantasy/Young Adult
Paperback: 496
Rating: 1/5 stars


Story summary from the book cover:

"First there are nightmares.
Every night Ellie is haunted by terrifying dreams of monstrous creatures that are hunting her, killing her.
Then come the memories.
When Ellie meets Will, she feels on the verge of remembering something just beyond her grasp. His attention is intense and romantic, and Ellie feels like her soul has known him for centuries. On her seventeenth birthday, on a dark street at midnight, Will awakens Ellie's power, and she knows that she can fight the creatures that stalk her in the grim darkness. Only Will holds the key to Ellie's memories, whole lifetimes of them, and when she looks at him, she can no longer pretend anything was just a dream.
Now she must hunt.
Ellie has power that no one can match, and her role is to hunt and kill the reapers that prey on human souls. But in order to survive the dangerous and ancient battle of the angels and the Fallen, she must also hunt for the secrets of her past lives and truths that may be too frightening to remember."

I was about to give up reading this book before I was halfway done, but it was a gift, that I asked for even, so I decided to finish reading it and while I thought that the last fight scene was heart pumping-ly good, reading Angelfire felt like a chore and it was disappointing because from the cover and book summary, the book was something I could really like.

First, the brand name dropping made Ellie seem petty and obnoxious, I don't see why I had to keep on reading about Kate's BMW etc.:

"Kate’s daddy had bought her a red BMW for her birthday..headed outside to Kate’s BMW..in my mom’s Mercedes..I fell in love with a little white Audi with a black interior..The Audi glided along the hilly roads like a dream..the Audi from grille to tailpipe, we went into Starbucks to order..was referring to the name of her red BMW..We drove in Kate’s BMW..Saks Fifth Avenue entrance.. Kate stopped to ogle a tabletopped with shoes by Chanel..bag in the Valentino collection...cream Badgley Mischka cocktail dress..I knew I had the perfect matching black Marc Jacobs satin shoes..Kate chose a..Dolce&Gabbana bustier sheath dress."

Second, the book is action packed but I think maybe Ellie fought Ragnuk too many times as well as other random reapers and most of those fights didn't push the story forward that I find these scenes redundant. Lastly, the main character lacks substance, it was hard for me to like her, she won’t even train or hunt reapers on Friday nights because it’s a movie night! 

My Verdict:
I didn't enjoy the book but maybe someone else would. I'm curious about Ellie's dad though, why does he smell like blood? Personally, I'm not sure if I'll be getting the second installment.

This book is part of the following challenges:

Next book on review: