Tuesday, January 17, 2012

ARC Incarnate by Jodi Meadows (3/5 stars).

Title: Incarnate (Newsoul #1)
Author: Jodi Meadows
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books 
Date to be released: 31 January 2012
Genre: Fantasy/Romance/Utopian
Hardcover: 384 pages
Source: traded a paperback for it
Rating: 3/5 stars


"NEWSOUL 
Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.  
NOSOUL 
Even Ana's own mother thinks she's a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she'll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are suspicious and afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?  
HEART 
Sam believes Ana's new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana's enemies--human and creature alike--let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else's life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all? "
What I love most about Incarnate is its exquisite concept of soul mates. On the night of the masquerade, Tera and Ash would rededicate themselves to each other, they will try to find each other without knowing what costume the other is wearing because supposedly, their souls would still be able to recognize each other no matter what bodies they possess. Before the ball started, Meuric, said that it is rare, but some souls were created as matching pairs with love true and pure that would draw them together in all of their lifetimes. 

Ana fighting with Sam before he left her to go to the ball and that heart-aching question that her costume symbolizes - am I just a butterfly to you? - made their finding each other in the ball so much sweeter. How Sam found her, how he danced with her and touched her, thinking she didn't know it was him, and Ana replying that she'll always know him, I could read those pages over and over again! The suggestion that Ana and Sam are soul mates was so subtle it was magical.

Incarnate is set in a unique and complex Utopian world with dragons, sylphs, laser guns, an evil mother, and beautiful music with a cover so beautiful, so ethereal, it matched how I felt when Sam composed a song for Ana. I gave it three stars and not four because the ending, starting when Ana entered the temple, didn't excite me and everything fell flat for me from there and Li's death was so abrupt when she's the one person who I think could really hurt Ana, making Ana feel like she wasn't real, and so I thought she should stay for the entire series. Menehem's answers were not satisfying as well, it gave me the impression that poisoning Janan was a game to him, he didn't feel anything for his wife and it wasn't shown that he felt love for his daughter. It's interesting for me though that the temple was revealed to actually be Janan, the god who reincarnates the souls of Heart, why would the dragons try to kill him? As a first in a series, I thought almost all the loose ends have been tied already and it doesn't leave much to wait for for the next installment. Overall I did enjoy reading it and did I mention that Sam is also amazing? He's this amazing artist who never found love until Ana and even before he was attracted to her, knowing that she's the new soul, he still saved her twice. I really can't wait to see what happens to the two of them in the next installment. 

My favorite quotes:
“I'd give anything to make things right for you. " (Sam)He caressed my cheek, my hair, my back. Everywhere he touched, the angry fires cooled. I wished he'd touch my heart. "But I can't. I can help, but the hard work is all up to you, If you don't feel real, no one else can do it for you. I promise, though you've always felt real to me. From the moment I saw you jump off the cliff." (Sam)"Sometimes I still feel like I'm still jumping off the cliff.” (Ana)
“I regret I didn't wear a jacket, or I'd give it to you." (Sam)"I still have my wings. It wouldn't fit." (Ana)"I'd carry them for you." (Sam)"They're attached to the dress. It was the only way I could get them to stay." (Ana)He squeezed my hand, tome mischievous. "In that case, I'd be especially happy to carry the wings." (Sam)"Sam!" (Ana)"It wouldn't be the first time I've seen you without clothes." (Sam)"Sam!” (Ana)
This book is part of the following challenge(s):
p.s.
I'll be away on vacation for a week! That's a week of reading on the beach in the mornings! Oh and I might edit this review later. Next book I'll be reviewing when I get back:
p.s.s.
Check out this Book Trailer video from harperteen: