Monday, January 9, 2012

Lola and the boy next door by Stephanie Perkins (4/5 stars).


Title: Lola and the boy next door
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Date Published: 29 September 2011
Genre: Contemporary Young Adult
Hardcover: 384 pages
Rating: 4/5 stars

From the book cover:

"Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood. 

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door."


Lola and the boy next door is the companion book of Anna and the French kiss which I’ve heard a lot about so I picked up both books last Saturday, reading in my tablet still gives me headaches so I’m trying to ease into it. After reading some of the reviews in goodreads, it seems that those who’ve read both books liked Anna more, so I decided to read Lola first, save the best for last so to speak instead of a disappointing dip in reading.

In just a few pages Perkins has already endeared Lola to me, I don’t think anyone will be able to help but love Lola’s over the top colorful and sparkly costume-y character! I have an obsession with false eyelashes because I have short unnoticeable ones, when there’s a big event I always get extensions, she’s a girl after my own heart, I just have to pause and imagine her in her outfit every time she’s going out:

“I place a rhinestone barrette in my pale pink wig. I am also wearing a sequined prom gown that I’ve altered into a mini-dress, a jean jacket covered in David Bowie pins, and glittery false eyelashes.”

I'm just amazed that this girl has been wearing whatever it is that she wanted ever since she was little, not caring what others thought.

Lola was panicking when she saw a moving van outside the house next door praying that it wasn’t the Bell twins and almost had a breakdown when she found out her prayers weren’t answered. Because of Lola’s reaction I thought the twins did something to her along the lines of making her declare she likes Cricket then Cricket turning her down in front of everyone from school with Calliope laughing evilly in the background and somehow Lola’s covered in punch or goo all over but what happened two years ago was something a little bit underwhelming compared to that scenario.

Other than that miss for me I really enjoyed reading the book from start to finish and whenever Lola and Cricket are together it just makes me feel giddy and hopeful that Lola will give Cricket another chance. I also liked how the issues between Lola and her mother were resolved, it was subtle yet touching and how finally the Marie Antoinette costume (with some changes) resolved Lola’s issues within herself.

My Verdict:
A cute love story I would recommend to teens who like contemporary YA lit. The cover of the book couldn’t be any more perfect too! Cricket looks like a cute, lanky, tall sweetheart and Lola is such a doll. I already like St. Clair after Lola got lost in Cricket’s dorm and I’m sure I’ll love Anna’s story next.


My favorite part:
"'So you believe in second chances?' I bite my lip. 'Second, third, fourth. Whatever it takes. However long it takes. If the person is right,' he adds. 'If the person is...Lola?'This time, he holds my gaze.'Only if the other person is Cricket.'"
This book is a part of the following challenge(s):