Thursday, January 12, 2012

Night Huntress #1 & #2 by Jeaniene Frost

This week I'm down with the flu so I had to stay home but staying home is so much fun when you have piles of books (and ebooks) on your to-read shelf waiting for me to be sick! And I started with the Night Huntress series:


Title: Halfway to the grave (Night Huntress #1)
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Publisher: Avon
Date Published: 30 October 2007
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Adult
Paperback: 384 pages
Rating: 4/5 stars

From the book cover:

"Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.
In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner—are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat."

Title: One foot in the grave (Night Huntress #2)
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Publisher: Avon
Date Published: 29 April 2008
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Adult
Paperback: 384 pages
Rating: 4/5 stars

From the book cover:

"You can run from the grave, but you can't hide . . .
Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is now Special Agent Cat Crawfield, working for the government to rid the world of the rogue undead. She's still using everything Bones, her sexy and dangerous ex, taught her, but when Cat is targeted for assassination, the only man who can help her is the vampire she left behind.
Being around him awakens all her emotions, from the adrenaline kick of slaying vamps side by side to the reckless passion that consumed them. But a price on her head—wanted: dead or half-alive—means her survival depends on teaming up with Bones. And no matter how hard she tries to keep things professional between them, she'll find that desire lasts forever . . . and that Bones won't let her get away again."

Frost is amazing! I really enjoyed reading both books, I almost always do not read the next installment of the series right after reading one book from it, I'd buy the next book in the series and knowing it's in my to-read shelf would be enough, but this time I couldn't help myself and I just had to know what happened after Cat left Bones from book one. Sometimes I don't read the book summary or reviews just so the book can surprise me, and oh my gosh when Bones said "Hallo, Kitten." when they finally saw each other again in One foot in the grave, just sent me tingles all over! 
There are so many things I love about the series and here's my top five for the first two books:

1. Cat and Bones! They just have a great chemistry.
"You won't stop until you have all of me. Will you? My body. My blood. My trust. And still you want more." - Cat" 
I want your heart the most. Above all else. You're exactly right. I won't stop until I have it" - Bones 
"You're my Red Reaper and I've missed you terribly." - Bones 
"This is where you tried to kill me. You were so nervous, you kept blushing. Never had someone try to stake me who blushed so much." - Bones 
"Congratulations on a magnificent display of unsportsmanlike conduct. What a dirty fighter you are. Somebody really skilled must have trained you." - Bones 
“Time has no dominion over love. Love is the one thing that transcends time. - Bones
2. Cat's mother whenever she's near or talking to Bones
“You know what your problem is, Justina? You're in desperate need of a good shag. Not that I'm offering you one myself, mind. My days as a whore ended back in the seventeen hundreds."  
The gin was abruptly sucked back into my lungs as I gasped. He did not just tell my mother about his former profession; sweet Jesus, let me have heard incorrectly! I hadn't, and Bones went right on. 
"... But I have a friend who owes me a favor and he could be persuaded to... Kitten, are you all right?"
3. Juan
"You called her Kitten? And she let you? She put me in a coma for three days when I called her that! My balls never recovered from her smashing them into my spine!" 
Juan gave Bones the most admiring look he’d bestowed on him yet. 
“You talked her into going without panties all these years? Madre de Dios, now that’s impressive. I could learn a great deal from you, amigo.” 
4. Cat - Annette catfight in One foot in the grave
"I think we need to have a little talk, woman to skank."  
"I am going to knock the slut out of you. And that should take some doing, you uppity English tramp!"  
"A catfight, no pun intended. Annette said some nasty things and so did I, and then I stabbed her to make a point. Now that was a pun." 
“And that, Annette, is called Pilates”  
5. Poor Timmie!
“We're going to knock those demons out and slay them with the power of Jesus. Hallelujah, can I get an amen?"- Timmie  
“Right, then, mate, terribly sorry for my unspeakable rudeness, and I do beg your pardon. I can only say that it was caused by my natural affront to the notion of her as my sister. Since I'll be shagging her tonight, you can imagine how I'd be distressed at the thought of rogering my sibling"  
"You shmuck! The only thing you'll be shagging tonight is yourself!"  
"You wanted sincerity, well, luv, I was sincere.” (Bones and Cat after Timmie asked if Bones is Cat's brother) 
“Why did you tell her I'm your boyfriend? Why doesn't she know about your real one? - Timmy He's English! And Mom...Mom hates foreigners!"- Cat 
These books are part of the following challenges: