Monday, February 27, 2012

ARC Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter (3/5 stars)

Title: Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test #2)
Author: Aimee Carter
Publisher: Harlequin Teen 
Date to be released: 27 March 2012
Genre: Young Adult/Mythology
Paperback: 304 pages
Source: traded a paperback for it 
Rating: 3/5 stars
"Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.
As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.
Henry's first wife, Persephone."


The Story.


Calliope found Cronus while serving the punishment Kate has meted out on her and she wants revenge. She wakes him from his slumber and Henry and the rest of the original six family have been fighting Cronus to push him back in prison but they were all captured and put to chains. Kate has been seeing visions since she stepped in the Underworld, one of the gifts of immortality. The ceremony for her coronation as Queen of the Underworld was interrupted by Cronus' attack, and when Henry and the others who went to fight Cronus weren't returning, she knows she has try to save them and for her to do so, she needs Persephone's help. 

Persephone.

Persephone deserves her happiness. Kate is in love with Henry (in an intense insta-love way) and she wants to be the Queen of the Underworld, but Persephone didn't. She's married to someone she doesn't love and she has to do a job she hates for all eternity. She chose the one she loves and she chose the sun instead of being miserable, that takes a lot of courage, and yes, she made that choice after she was already married but she genuinely thought it could work, she was happy when she saw that look from Henry, the look she tells Kate you won't forget, but after their wedding night, she freaked out, and everyone blames her, Kate blames her, and for what? For chasing her happiness. 

"'She deserves happiness.' - James There was that word again. I didn't care what Persephone deserved. I cared about what she'd done and why. 'That's exactly why this might all be for nothing. -Kate.'"  

Henry and Kate.

I couldn't blame Kate doubting Henry. He just seems so cold and distant after they slept together in Goddess Test, more so when Kate got back for her second winter and when he went down the Underworld to get her when she was killed by Calliope during the tests, I always thought that it was Kate's mother who saved her, not Henry, but Persephone and Ava reveals in Goddess Interrupted that Henry violated everything he stood for since the dawn of time to save her life and allow her mother's sacrifice, I thought, FINALLY! something from Henry! I cheered when Kate said "I can't do this anymore." she's right. At that point it was Henry who had given up. I agreed with everything she said to Henry that night and by the time she called him a jerk I was giving her a standing ovation! I gave her another one for that exit after telling the council she would help by finding Rhea and telling Henry, he won't be able to stop her, and not to even think of pulling out his fading away card because Persephone is back and he just wants to kiss Persephone again! Everyone is telling Kate how Henry loves her, but Kate is right, she needs it to come from him. 

The ending.

That was some cliffhanger! My hand just went to my mouth after reading it! It made me want to scream! I will definitely be waiting for The Goddess Inheritance because of it.

My Verdict.

To me, the story wasn't engaging until after that night that Henry kissed Persephone, Kate was whiny and wallowing in self pity for the most part of the story, although I did forgive her for giving Henry a piece of her mind in the end. And I wanted some real Titan versus gods action scenes (maybe in book 3?) I thought there'll at least be some when the family left Kate alone for the last time. Overall, I did have fun reading Goddess Interrupted and I thought it was better than The Goddess Test, I loved that Henry saw Persephone again, and Kate met her, otherwise, Persephone will always be a question in Kate's mind and if you like The Goddess Test, you'll like Goddess Interrupted more as Henry and Kate's romance starts to feel real but if you haven't read The Goddess Test yet, I wouldn't recommend on starting the series.







2 comments:

  1. Great review! I have heard mixed things about this one, but it seems like you really enjoyed it. I will have to check it out for myself. :) Thanks for sharing this!

    New to your blog!
    Stephanie
    Follow @ Stepping Out of the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie!

      I started getting into the book after reading more than half of the book already. If you haven't read the first book yet, I won't recommend starting on the series. :)

      Delete