Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cover Reveal: TASTE by Kate Evangelista + Author Interview

Taste by Kate Evangelista
Release date: TBA
"At Barinkoff Academy, there's only one rule: no students on campus after curfew. Phoenix McKay soon finds out why when she is left behind at sunset. A group calling themselves night students threaten to taste her flesh until she is saved by a mysterious, alluring boy. With his pale skin, dark eyes, and mesmerizing voice, Demitri is both irresistible and impenetrable. He warns her to stay away from his dangerous world of flesh eaters. Unfortunately, the gorgeous and playful Luka has other plans. 

When Phoenix is caught between her physical and her emotional attraction, she becomes the keeper of a deadly secret that will rock the foundations of an ancient civilization living beneath Barinkoff Academy. Phoenix doesn’t realize until it is too late that the closer she gets to both Demitri and Luka the more she is plunging them all into a centuries old feud."


Interview with Kate Evangelista:


Hi Kate! Thanks for dropping by Bookwormmia for a little interview!

Bookworm Mia: We’d love to know more about you. What do you do when you’re not writing?

Kate: When I'm not writing I'm usually reading, catching up with TV episodes (addicted to TV shows, seriously), or I'm baking (especially when I'm all nervous). 

BM: Congratulations on your new book cover! How were you involved in the conceptualization and creation of the cover?

K: Fun fact about the cover. When I first started editing Taste (which was then titled Lunar Heat) a critique partner of mine created mock covers. There were like thirty, and of them all, I gravitated to the picture you currently see as the cover of Taste today. When Crescent Moon Press gave Taste a home, I sent the mock cover to them and they contacted the artist who created the picture and worked really hard to acquire the rights from her. So, the cover of Taste actually began as a mock cover nearly two years ago. Very full circle moment for me. 

BM: I've seen some of the other mock covers and I like the present cover best too! Phoenix looks gorgeous! Could you tell us emotions Phoenix is going through in this scene?

K: It's a very powerful picture. There are many emotions within the book that is captured by this picture. Much of what Phoenix does in the novel is propelled by the death of her mother. That's as much as I can say without revealing too much about the story. I think once you've read the novel, you'll really understand why the cover looks the way it does. 

BM: And about the story..Flesh Eaters! Tell us about the creative process behind the mythology in Taste, are flesh eaters some sort of vampire?

K: When I first started writing Taste, vampires where all the rage. Twilight had just become a hit and it seemed like a whole shelf in bookstores would be dedicated to vampire YA books, so I decided to go another way. I can't really say what the Night Students are because it's a big spoiler. But this I can say: They are not vampires and Taste has totally nothing to do with Vampire Knight (which is currently the common misconception upon reading the blurb because of the words "night students").

BM: Thanks for clearing that up! I have seen quite a few comments that Taste is so much like Vampire Knight. I read a teaser from your blog, and Demitri sure knows how to make an entrance! I sense a love triangle. Demitri saves Phoenix that night she broke Barinkoff’s rules, but we don’t know much about Luka. What is it about him that Phoenix finds attractive?

K: Wow, these are really tough questions to answer without spoiling much of the book. *laughs* But I can confirm that there is a love triangle going on between Demitri, Phoenix, and Luka. This especially comes to fruition when Phoenix finds herself among the flesh eaters. As to who she chooses in the end, you'll have to find out by reading the novel (shameless plug, I know. :-P)

BM: *laughs* and I'm very excited to find out! So what’s next after Taste? Any new project coming up?

K: At the moment, I've signed a three book deal with Entangled for another of my YA novel's entitled Til Death. This one's a fun romp. Dark and funny. I'm looking forward to working on that after Taste comes out. Also, I have more news to share, but you'll have to stay-tuned on my blog to find out since I can't share anything yet (and the secret's killing me). More big things to come. I promise. 

BM: Good luck with that Kate! (Lovelies, you can find Kate's blog here! GO check it out!) Anything else you would like to add?

K: And I would like to take this chance to thank Jenny for hosting a cover reveal for Taste on her fantastic blog. Also, I had fun with this interview. I needed to get creative with my answers. If you have a Goodreads account, please add Taste to your To-Read-List so that you'll be one of the first to know when the official release date is. Have a great rest of the week, everyone! 

BM: Aww shucks. :) Thank you so much for your time Kate! I had fun doing this interview with you too! 


My lovelies, I'd love to know what you think!
Do you love this cover too?
Don't forget to Add TASTE in your goodreads shelf!