Thursday, February 23, 2012

Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton (3/5stars)

Title: Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters #1)
Author: Kelly Keaton
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Ltd.
Date Published: 22 February 2011
Genre: Young Adult/Urban Fantasy
Paperback: 320 pages
Rating: 3/5 stars

From the book cover:
"Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.
Her search for answers uncovers a message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.
She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.
Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed."





Things I loved about Darkness becomes her:

New2 is a lush provocative wonderland you'll want to get lost in.

Several years ago, a hurricane ravaged New Orleans and left a wasteland on its wake. The Novem, nine powerful families, formed an alliance and bought New Orleans from the US government, renamed it New2 and is slowly rebuilding the city. Within New2 lies grandiose Southern mansions, hypnotic masquerade balls, dazzling Mardi Gras floats, and air thick with voodoo and magic. I loved even Athena's prison underneath a decrepit plantation in the middle of a swamp forest. New2 is a world building masterpiece. 

Garden District's peculiar band of Misfits.

Freckled adorable Crank who thinks Sebastian is her older brother, having no recollection of why she was in the ruins and how her real brother died, Henri who acts tough but is a real softy inside, Dub with his blond afro who's also a sweetheart, Violet with her black bob, Mardi Gras mask, oversized clothes and shoes, and vampire fangs when she's not really a vampire, Pascal, Violet's albino crocodile, Sebastian, who likes to play drums in the middle of the night and newcomer Ari, with white hair and teal eyes whose foster parents were bail bondsmen who taught her how to kick butt and use that spare gun in the dashboard. These characters are so unique and I really liked all the kids, they're all sweethearts.

And what I didn't like:

Sebastian and Ari's romance.

Or maybe just Sebastian. First, and I think it's because the story is short, their romance wasn't developed at a good pace. Second, and more importantly, Sebastian's actions doesn't fit in the book's premise - understanding another person who is different because you are different too, and understanding leading to acceptance. When he saw what Ari truly was, he was terrified and I think that's okay, but if he really cared about Ari, he would've stayed, or take the kids out of the graveyard, give instructions to Henri and run back no matter what because he should know that Ari was really scared too. Oh okay I confess! He broke my heart when he left Ari! 

My Verdict:
I really enjoyed reading Darkness Becomes Her and jumped right into the second book! One of the better YA-Mythology books. I didn't like this Cover though, the model portraying Ari looks too mature, her eyes look bright Green and not Teal, I just think she should be more beautiful, after all, she's from a long line of "beauties".
This book is part of the following challenge(s):
More Reviews coming up!

8 comments:

  1. I hate it when the model on a cover of a book doesn't match the description of the character. Glad you liked the book, I might have to check it out.

    You've been tagged! Read the rules here http://teenagefeelin.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/tagged.html

    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. followed back Sarah! The second book, A beautiful evil, is even better than the first, and both books are short reads, I'm sure you'll enjoy them. :D

      Delete
  2. Hey! Great review. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have joined yours and will send people your way. I'm having a give away starting tomorrow if you want to sign up and tell others about. You blog is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again! :D And for telling others about my blog too.

      Delete
  3. Hey! Great review. I was wondering about this book. Thanks for stopping by my blog (Walking on Bookshelves). I am following you now too. I'm having a give away starting tomorrow if you want to stop by. Your blog is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeannette! I went over your blog again and I'd love to tell others about your giveaway! I'll do so on my next post :) *hugs* good luck with it!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for following my blog! Im following you back!

    Ill be putting this book on my TBR pile. Interesting cover as well.

    ReplyDelete