Friday, February 3, 2012

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins (3/5 stars).

Title: Demonglass (Hex Hall #2)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Date Published: 22 March 2011
Genre: Young Adult/Urban Fantasy
Paperback: 384 pages
Rating: 3/5 stars
From the book cover:
"Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.
That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.
Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?"

In Demonglass, Sophie has decided to undergo the Removal to be stripped of her powers. Seeing what Alice did to Elodie and her coven made it difficult for Sophie to come to terms with herself being a demon, she's afraid that one day she will lose control and she will hurt the people she love just like how her grandmother had killed her grandfather. She made a deal with her father to spend the summer with him in London before she decides and so we leave Hex Hall for picturesque Thorne Abbey with Jenna and Cal tagging along. 

I wasn't pulled in the story until I was halfway through. I guess it's because nothing much happened for a while. But while it isn't as good as the first book, it does have some good mysteries like: why is Elodie's ghost following Sophie all the way to London?, Where had Sophie heard Thorne Abbey before?, Why did Archer join The Eye?, and Who is creating demons?

We get more Cal in Demonglass, the only thing I remembered about him in Hex Hall was Sophie's Hagrid remark, and to my delight, Sophie is betrothed to him! I love all their after-finding-out-I'm-betrothed-to-you-it's-so-awkward moments: 
“The long flight from Georgia to England had been pretty uneventful. Exceept that Cal had sat next to me. 
Which was fine. Really.
It wasn't like I'd been hyperaware of his presence and jumped the three times his knee bumped mine. And after that third time, he definitely hadn't shot me a kind of disgusted look and said, "Chill out, will you?" And when Jenna gave us both a quizzical look, we hadn't snapped, in unison, "Nothing!" 
Because all of that would have been weird, and Cal and I weren't weird. 
We were cool.” 
We were cool huh. Cal is the perfect distraction that Sophie needs, he's this dreamy gorgeous quiet type, as Sophie funnily points out: “Cal had been waiting for us at the pond. When he’d seen me, he’d given me a barely perceptible nod, which was the Cal version of waving his hands over his head and yelling, “Hey, Sophie!” he's the good guy in this love triangle, and he (possibly) declined an offer to work for the Council so he could be with Sophie at Hex Hall. I think Sophie did have a crush on him at some point, but it was clear that she still has strong feelings for Archer and they just hadn't had an opportunity to really talk to each other and find out if they have chemistry unlike when Sophie had to spend detention with Archer, mostly Cal just had to heal Sophie. Another thing that didn't help was, Cal was the guy who's hard to read, Sophie wasn't sure if he likes her because he's such a nice guy to everyone. It was only when Sophie asked him to come to the village alley that he showed he was jealous of Archer and I realized he got it bad for Sophie! And it was only at the end when he was saying goodbye did he kiss her and I thought it was amazingly tender!

I'm almost always team nice guy and that kiss was swoony but this time my vote is for bad boy Archer! I so love how he can't stay away from Sophie! And I just love it when they get physical “I was about to try Skill Fifteen, which involved both breaking his nose and potentially ending his chances of ever having kids, when my captor bent down and whispered in my ear, "Don't even think about it, Mercer.” don't you?

Another character we get to know in this installment is Mr. Mercer, Sophie's dad and I get how Sophie could be angry at her dad thinking he didn't really care about her. She hadn't even seen him before in person but she couldn't be more wrong, her dad loves her and he would do anything to protect her. I loved all their scenes together. And! He won me over when he said he was still in love with his wife! 

Demonglass still has all the elements of Hex Hall that I love, snarky and funny Sophie is back, those unpredictable twists with a BIG one on Hex Hall that will throw you off, and a gripping ending that will make you restless for Spell Bound!

More quotes:

This book is part of the following challenges:
Next books on review:















No comments:

Post a Comment