Tuesday, February 21, 2012

ARC Embrace by Jessica Shirvington - DNF


Title: Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters #1)
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Date to be Released: 06 March 2012
Genre: Young Adult/Urban Fantasy
Hardcover: 367 pages
Source: traded a paperback for it
Rating: DNF (Did not finish)

"My girl,
Happy 17th birthday. I wish I could be there with you, but I think if you are reading this...I am not. For that, I am sorry. The day your dad and I found out we were going to have a baby was the happiest day of my long life. I know the only day that will exceed that joy will be the day you are born – no matter how that day ends.
A big decision lies ahead. The burden of the covenant is a heavy one to bear. Choose with your heart, for I already know that you, my girl, must let your heart guide the way.
I love you. Please forgive me.
Mom." 


I wish I could've brought myself to finish Embrace. I always try to finish a book I start on, because every book is a product of the author's efforts but I'm having problems accepting the angel myth in Embrace. I'm not saying others will have the same problems as I did, the book is engaging and the writing is beautiful, it's easy to get lost in the pages, but it's an it's-not-you-it's-me problemBasically, the Grigori, originally composed of angels, until they realized that being on earth makes them weak and they cannot fulfill their duties because of it, has the purpose of sending exiled angels back to their own realm or making the exiled human. The Grigori angels now pass their essence to a child who loses a parent within their first twelve days of life and this child, upon reaching the age of 17 would now be able to choose whether or not he or she would become a Grigori. For one, taking away an angel's power makes him or her human, I believe humans have souls and angels do not. Two, losing a parent within twelve days would change an infant's aura. (This may have been explained in the book further) Three, in Embrace, angels have free will. The next part I got from my professor in Theology who has a doctorate on Sacred Theology. He said that angels do not have free will, only humans do (the class was having a discussion on the nature of angels). Fourth, angels going around planting their essence on humans are interfering with that person's free will, if he or she chooses not to undergo the Embrace, he or she would be open to attacks by Exiled angels. 

I think Shirvington's mythology is complex and well thought of but I prefer made up mythologies based on some level on existing ones, if any already exists on the particular object of myth, making it easier to accept the literary creation. For example, Stephanie Meyer has created a lot of her own myths about vampires, like vampires sparkle when the sun shines on them and so to hide their existence, they do not go out at day, existing myths say the sun can kill a vampire that's why vampires do not go out into the sunlight. The twist that Meyer created is easy to accept because the end is the same, vampires do not go out during daylight, the former reason is a plausible explanation, unless any vampires out there wanting to make a statement? 



No comments:

Post a Comment