Monday, February 6, 2012

Tempest by Julie Cross (5/5 stars).

Title: Tempest
Author: Julie Cross
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Date Published: 17 January 2012
Genre: Young Adult/Science Fiction
Hardcover: 352 pages
Rating: 5/5 stars

"The year is 2009. Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun. That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future."

I finally got my copy of Tempest last week when I got home from my vacation which I had to pre-order from my local bookstore and I was excited to read it because there have been a lot of buzz about it from book blogs. 


There are no angels in this book (thank goodness, I have tons of angel books still waiting on my to be read pile) only the CIA and no super fast vampires either, just good ol' Enemies of Time, (their organization would like to be called by the acronym EOT, thank you) those who have the power to travel through time. 


Jackson had so much to deal with after he got stuck in the past, first he has to find out why he and Holly were attacked in 2009, who were those men who tried to kill them?, how can he get back from 2007 to 2009 to save Holly?, can he trust his dad?, what else can he do aside from half-jumps (jumps into the past that doesn't change anything with his body in the present lifeless)? and so Jackson (half) jumps back in the past (from 2007) to try and get some answers with the help of his Science geek friend Adam and also to get to talk to his twin sister who had died years ago.


A unique scenario that I love in Tempest is how Jackson tries to make Holly fall in love with him again in the past, it reminds me of the song, Let's just fall in love again by Jason Castro! In 2009, Jackson was busy with his time travel experiments with Adam and sometimes he has to cancel his dates with Holly, taking her for granted. Losing and finding Holly again made him think (with a little nudge from Adam) and admit to himself that he's in love with Holly and he has to fight to protect her. It's beautiful the way they belonged to each other no matter the timeline, and yea, Jackson may have cheated a bit, but it just shows how much he knows Holly and all the things she likes. THAT ENDING broke my heart!


Very Jumper-ish with a little of Bourne Identity thrown in, I found myself soon engrossed in the story, I couldn't put it down because I just had to know if Jackson can save Holly and if his dad is one of the good guys or the bad guys! 


Lastly, I can't imagine how much plotting went into Tempest specially since it's part of a trilogy and Cross gave the readers a lot of twists and reveals in the first book. I guess that's what's incredible about time jumping though - the possibilities are endless. 


I can't wait to find out how Jackson will save the mysterious little girl who looks so much like his twin sister from the EOT and of course if Jackson and Holly end up together in the next installment. I have faith in that ring! 


Move over angels! Hellooo time travelers!

This book is part of the following challenge(s):

p.s. Check out Tempest's cool book trailer:



2 comments:

  1. Recently I've been a little anti-young adult (teen fiction), but keep reminding myself of the great books I've read in that genre. This book looks like one I should give a try. The time travel and suspense really intrigues me. Thanks for the great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dalene! The twists and suspense (plus it's from a guy's pov which means less drama)really made Tempest enjoyable for me, I hope you enjoy reading it too!

      Delete