Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The One that I Want by Jennifer Echols (3/5 stars).

Title: The One That I Want
Author: Jennifer Echols
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Date Published: 06 December 2011
Genre: Young Adult/Romance
Kindle: 256 pages
Rating: 3/5 stars
"Gemma can't believe her luck when the star football player starts flirting with her. Max is totally swoon-worthy, and even gets her quirky sense of humor. So when he asks out her so-called best friend Addison, Gemma's heartbroken.
Then Addison pressures Gemma to join the date with one of Max's friends. But the more time they all spend together, the harder Gemma falls for Max. She can't help thinking that Max likes her back--it's just too bad he's already dating Addison. How can Gemma get the guy she wants without going after her best friend's boyfriend?"
Gemma loves and is really good at Baton twirling but she wouldn't have tried out to be a majorette if her so called best friend Addison hadn't forced her to because she has body image issues, she couldn't think of wearing a leotard in front of a lot of people. She started losing weight and started to gain confidence  in her skill enough to try even if she knows getting in the majorette squad is really a popularity contest. 

The One that I want is told from Gemma's perspective and I felt sorry for her at the start because she's allowing Addison to bully and use her. Reading into her thoughts, which runs a mile a minute, she really has a grasp of what she wants and I'd go cheering for her whenever she asserts herself against Addison starting with that third baton she kept hidden until the try outs. I actually lost more than 50 pounds right after college, so I can relate to what Gemma was going through after losing all that weight and her thoughts felt - like how she wouldn't buy new clothes yet or she'll stay in that weight - real kudos to Echols for that. 

Gemma can also be inspiring, she lost all the weight the right way, no starving, no barfing and she says that losing weight gave her a confidence boost but it didn't solve her problems and what she loved most about it is how she felt healthier.

Now about the boy. I'm not sure if I like Max, he's such a drama queen about being half-Japanese in the football team, then those dialogues, reading Gemma and telling her what she won't admit herself because secretly he wants to be a psychologist (reminds me of Tucker and Dale versus Evil character Allison) it's like his character is trying too hard to show that he's sensitive.

Overall the story was okay although a bit protracted and I had more fun with the baton twirling parts than on Gemma getting Max but hey, if you like YA romantic comedies you should check out The One that I Want.

This book is part of the following challenge(s):


3 comments:

  1. I had this book tentatively on my to-read list, but your review made me add it definitively. Thanks for an insightful, personal review!

    Also, there are some blog awards with your name on them! :) Details here: http://pidginpeasbooknook.blogspot.com/2012/02/blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PidginPea! It might take time before I get to forward the awards but I'll sure try! :D

      Delete
    2. No worries! I totally understand! :)

      Delete