Friday, March 30, 2012

ARC Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross (4/5 stars)

Title: Kill Me Softly
Author: Sarah Cross
Publisher: Egmont USA
Date to be Published: 10 April 2012
Genre: Fantasy/Fairy Tale Retelling
Hardcover: 314 pages
Rating: 4/5 stars


"Mirabelle's past is shrouded in secrecy, from her parents' tragic deaths to her guardians' half-truths about why she can't return to her birthplace, Beau Rivage. Desperate to see the town, Mira runs away a week before her sixteenth birthday—and discovers a world she never could have imagined.

In Beau Rivage, nothing is what it seems—the strangely pale girl with a morbid interest in apples, the obnoxious playboy who's a beast to everyone he meets, and the chivalrous guy who has a thing for damsels in distress. 
Here, fairy tales come to life, curses are awakened, and ancient stories are played out again and again.

But fairy tales aren't pretty things, and they don't always end in happily ever after. Mira has a role to play, a fairy tale destiny to embrace or resist. As she struggles to take control of her fate, Mira is drawn into the lives of two brothers with fairy tale curses of their own . . . brothers who share a dark secret. And she'll find that love, just like fairy tales, can have sharp edges and hidden thorns."

All Mirabelle, Mira, has of her parents are what her two godmothers have told her, that her parents died in a fire during her christening ball to save everyone else. A week before her sixteenth birthday she goes to the one place her overprotective godmothers have told her never to go to, to look for her parents' graves. In Beau Rivage, she meets Blue who has been trying to make her leave his family's hotel vigorously then his brother Felix who has offered her a place to stay and help in her search. 


Why I wanted to read Kill Me Softly..


I'm addicted to the series Once Upon a Time by ABC and I guess that's what drew me to Kill Me Softly and a friend already asked if the two are different, and they are. Kill Me Softly is about curses, for example, there isn't just one Snow White, there are a lot of girls cursed with the same fate as hers. 


And the cover is riveting and poetic. It says, this fairy tale isn't for the faint of heart. 


And why I enjoyed it..


There are so many fairy tale characters entangled with Mira's story that makes Kill Me Softly fun and complex because you try to guess from which fairy tale story they are and, because they know their fates, they have their own thoughts and fears about fulfilling their roles and they share that with Mira, who didn't know about her own curse until she arrives in Beau Rivage. When Mira first talked to Blue's friends, they just seemed like weird teenagers, but when she found out that she's cursed too and decided to stay, the wheels start turning and we see another side to these characters and in the end, their depth surprised me.


Cross created a beautifully structured mythology about how the curses started and wove that into a modern world where you really can't expect everyone to be excited about their curse and follow their roles to a tee. (Well, there's Freddie and Caspian..) 


It's perfect that the fairy tales in the story are taken from the brothers Grimm adding a dark touch to the story. There are times that even a gift bestowed by a good fairy can be a curse, I can't imagine how painful it is to cough up jewels every time I say something. And not all Cinderellas are good enough to make her stepsisters wear goggles to her wedding to keep the crows from pecking their eyes.


And while the overarching feel to the story is dark and twisted, there are a lot of funny moments that I loved. Overall, I had a great time reading KILL ME SOFTLY and would recommend it to those who want their fairy tales served with blood and freshly ripped heart with a side of limbs. I'm crossing my fingers for companion novels, I really liked Layla's and Freddie's characters and would love to know what happens to them!


Thank you Egmont USA and Net Galley for my copy! 



2 comments:

  1. I'm also in love with the Once upon a time serie! <3 I love it and I'm crazy about fairytales and retellings, but I didn't like this book.. If you like, you can find my review on my blog. I recently posted it :)

    What my main reason for dislike is the fact that I didn't like Mira. The use of fairytales was absolutely wonderful, but wasn't enough to keep me entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story is great and completely not what I expected. One of the cool things I really liked about this book are the marks that identify what story that the characters belong.Beau Rivage is full of fairy tale tragedies, and everyone knows their fate. The thing is no matter how hard they may try to change their path, destiny gets in the way. Mira wants to be the exception to this rule, that's if she survives her curse, and finds out what her trigger is before it is too late. Dark, witty and original this is a great book about love and destiny.

    ReplyDelete