Friday, March 16, 2012

Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins (5/5 stars)

Title: Spell Bound (Hex Hall #3)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Date Published: 13 March 2012
Genre: Young Adult/Urban Fantasy
Hardcover: 336 pages
Rating: 5/5 stars


"Mom smiled and brushed my hair away from my face. 'You can call yourself whatever you want.'
'Okay. Sophie Awesome Sparkle-Princess it is.'"




I am going to just start gushing now. WOW. Spell Bound left me breathless. I am forever a Rachel Hawkins fan now! 


After escaping a burning Thorne Abbey and using the Itineris to find the Brannicks because her mom is with them, Sophie Mercer finds herself in the middle of a forest with Elodie's ghost and without her powers. She could barely pick herself up and with Elodie not helping at all, things are getting dangerous by the minute in enemy territory. 


I enjoyed every second reading this fast paced gripping last installment to the Hex Hall series we have come to love so much. It's one of the easiest five stars I have given because it's an impressive combination of both a character driven and plot driven story. There are a lot of twists and turns and one of them jumps at you at the start of the story and I cannot say a lot without spoiling the book for those waiting for it, but I can say that Spell Bound is a very satisfying end to the Hex Hall series. 


Sophie has gone through so much without losing hope, her humor, or her snarkiness! She knows without her powers she cannot protect her family and stop the Casnoff sisters from raising demons but she is also struggling from knowing that getting her powers back creates a chance she would be used as a tool by the sisters. Secondary characters, Elodie, Jenna, Archer, and Cal are all back and play bigger roles in this installment and I thought they were fantastic! 


I have a confession to make. I have never enjoyed a love triangle as much as I did Archer-Sophie-Cal's. There's this unbelievably good chemistry between Sophie and Cal, specially after that kiss they shared in the second book, and between Sophie and Archer too! Be ready with the tissues though! The ending just made me cry!




4 comments:

  1. Hi there :) just popping in from Goodreads... You have a great blog :)

    I'm also your newest follower!

    Here is my blog to check out: Book Enslaved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! :) Great blog and book choices *hugs*

      Delete
  2. Placing the love triangle number one there?! Wow! It sounds awesome, hearing you say you enjoyed every second reading it! Unfortunately, I've never read Hex Hall, but I really should, shouldn't I... Thanks for sharing an awesome review!!! :)

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vivian! Yes you should get Hawkins' books! You'll love how snarky-funny Sophie is! :) All the best!

      Delete