Thursday, August 16, 2012

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake (4/5 stars).

Title: Girl of Nightmares
Author: Kendare Blake
Publisher: Tor Teen
Date Published: 07 Aug 2012
Genre: Horror/Urban Fantasy
Paperback: 336 pages
Rating: 4/5 stars


"It's been months since the ghost of Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell in her basement and disappeared into it, but ghost-hunter Cas Lowood can't move on. 

His friends remind him that Anna sacrificed herself so that Cas could live—not walk around half dead. He knows they're right, but in Cas's eyes, no living girl he meets can compare to the dead girl he fell in love with. 


Now he's seeing Anna everywhere: sometimes when he's asleep and sometimes in waking nightmares. But something is very wrong...these aren't just daydreams. Anna seems tortured, torn apart in new and ever more gruesome ways every time she appears.

Cas doesn't know what happened to Anna when she disappeared into Hell, but he knows she doesn't deserve whatever is happening to her now. Anna saved Cas more than once, and it's time for him to return the favor."

I thought that Anna dressed in blood, the debut novel of Kendare Blake was astounding, you can read my review of it here

Anna and Cas' story continues in Girl of Nightmares which I have been highly anticipating since January.

Since Cas and his mother have decided to stay in Thunder Bay, his nights hunting are no longer spent alone, he now has his psychic witch friend Thomas and Thomas' almost girlfriend Carmel to watch his back. I don't know why they have to bring Carmel along, she's not a character anyone would miss in the second book, not that I don't like her character but I just thought she was given too many scenes. Thomas' character and powers on the other hand, were developed perfectly in the sequel. I thought that it was easy for Thomas' character to fade into the background in ADIB but now he also takes center stage with Cas. 

And because Cas had to look out for his friends too, the night he hesitated killing a ghost because he thought he heard Anna's voice through its mouth, made him think twice about bringing them along, this, and hearing Anna's voice started a thread of emotions in him. In contrast with the first book, we find more emotional substance in GON, even in Cas' mother and Gideon. A new character, Jestine, Gideon's niece was also introduced and I love her striking and reckless society brainwashed character, I never guessed what her role really is and even if she appeared late into the story, her character is still well rounded and is a stand out. 

I gave GON a four instead of a five because while I think there were amazingly creepy scenes like the aunt visit and suicide forest where if you look away the ghosts would come closer - I was reading this at night and in my head I could really see the horde of ghosts disappearing and you'd hear a static sound before seeing that they're almost to your face; there were also some tepid scenes. 

Overall I thought it was a fantastic sequel. I loved how Anna got some action in the last fight scene, the vivid description of the other dimension, and the bittersweet ending to Anna's story. It was only in the last pages that I realized that this is the last book. It was a great journey, and I'd definitely recommend both installments.

I just found out that Blake is releasing a new series next year, the Antigoddess, the synopsis sounds great and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Thank you for reading! Scroll down for Cas' Big Mouth Quotes.

(Ugh, I need to update my reading challenges)

Love love,


Cas' Big Mouth Quotes:

“Every time I question him about the feasibility, he smiles at me like he's Yoda and I'm just a dumbass without the Force.”  

“All this faux flattery. It's not enough to make me forget he's a dick. Admittedly, though, he's sort of a charismatic dick.”  

“She crossed over death to call me. I crossed through Hell to find her.”  

“What?" she asks, but I don't answer. Instead I kiss her, one time, and try to tell her in that single gesture everything that she'll forget as soon as she turns away. I tell her I love her. I tell her I'll miss her. And then I let her go.”  

“You'd better eat that," she says.
"I'm taking it easy on my stomach," I protest. "Come on. It just had a knife in it.”  



Yeah, sometimes he's sweet.xx


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful follow and review! I don't think it's my type of book, though. :( Only because I even got scared of Goosebumps thinking something would jump at me and was reading in panic. But I will keep in mind to recommend for any who might be interested in these types. :)

    Thanks for the follow! Do you like manga?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks too! *Hugs* I don't read manga but I definitely love watching anime! My all time faves are Sailormoon (there is a new season being released soon), Naruto, Bleach and a lot more! :D

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to read this for a while but the whole ghost creepy vibe has got me a bit reluctant o.O awesome review, loved the quotes :)

    -Kaina

    ReplyDelete