Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer (3.5/5 stars).

Title: Between the Lines
Author: Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Date Published: June 26, 2012
Genre: Fantasy
Paperback: 358 pages
Rating: 3.5/5 stars


" Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.

And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.

Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale. "


Between the Lines begins just like how all fairy tales begin - Once upon a time in a land far, far away but with a prince unlike any other. Prince Oliver is not good with a sword, his mother never let him hold one, afraid he might die a hero like his father, and he's not exactly the bravest prince of all. Well okay, he's a coward, the fairy godmother who was about to gift him courage gave him life instead. 

Delilah is no longer a child but she cannot seem to stop reading a fairy tale book over and over even if she has memorized all the lines by heart. Reading it has been her escape. She was attracted to the story at first because she, like prince Oliver, grew up without a father. And maybe because, no matter what challenge the courage-less prince faced, he overcomes because of his wits. Then, when Oliver started talking to her, really started talking to her from the pages of the book, Delilah realized he was someone she could talk to about anything and he was genuinely concerned about her. 


The real Oliver when the book is closed isn't like the prince in the fairy tale at all, he's like an actor who had to say his lines again and again when someone opens the book, even against his will. He will do anything just to kiss Delilah's lips, the beautiful girl who was the only person in the world who heard him.


Between the Lines was such a fun story to read!


I want to pull some characters out of their books too! (lol) You know, that guy in a love triangle who is gorgeous, smart, sensitive and would do anything for the girl but no matter what he does, he still doesn't end up with her and you want to tell him, I'm here! And you don't know why the girl chose the other guy anyway. Yes Tucker! You're in the list! (lol)


The story is told alternating from the fairy tale story, Oliver's point of view, and Delilah's point of view in such a beautiful flowing manner. Why Prince Oliver was written the way he was, a courage-less prince who couldn't hold a sword, I thought was a beautiful message from a mother. What I didn't like was how things were resolved in the end. And I can't elaborate because If I do, I will spoil the story for those who haven't read it yet. I also think this book is a middle grade level reading, if I rate it as a YA book I would give it only three stars instead of three and a half. I love the happily ever after meets real life concept but it's still missing something!


 If you could pull a character from a book, who would that be? Tell me in the comments below!


















7 comments:

  1. OOh nice review!! I have had this since its release but haven't gotten around to it yet! Thought the concepts sounded amazing!

    As to who I would want to pull out of a book? Hmm...the list is really long! I love characters and there have been so many I would love to be BFFs with! And more than a few who I would want as boyfriend material, sadly they are all taken in the books, so not sure if a relationship would work! ;)

    Any character from Kelley Armstrong, Maria V. Snyder, Kim Harrison...like I said there are just too many awesome characters to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jessica! Yeah I definitely want to be BFFs with a lot of smart strong and loyal characters too, though I first thought of who I want to date first (lol). :)

      Delete
  2. Hey nice review!
    Thoroughly enjoyed :)

    Addie @ READioactive

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know your blog is totally gorgeous, right?
    I was already following you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for dropping by Lectus! <3

      Delete
  4. I really want to read this book. I mean, hello?, it got a happye ending. I love that! Great review!

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete