Friday, September 7, 2012

Dead until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse #1) by Charlaine Harris (4/5 stars).

Title: Dead until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse #1)
Author: Charlaine Harris
Publisher: Ace Books
Date Published: 01 May 2001
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Paperback: 292 pages
Rating: 4/5 stars


Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quite, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much. Not because she's not pretty. She is. It's just that, well, Sookie has this sort of "disability." She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill. He's tall, dark, handsome - and Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's exactly the type of guy she's been waiting for all her life....

But Bill has a disability of his own: he's a vampire with a bad reputation. He hangs with a seriously creepy crowd, all suspected of - big surprise - murder. And when one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next.

I actually watched the first season of HBO's True Blood series before I read Dead until Dark and after finishing the book, I ended up liking Sookie's character, I didn't so much when I was just watching the series. I think it's because we get a lot of the other characters in the tv series and not nearly as much Sookie and it's easier to understand her a whole lot more, particularly how she fell in love fast with Bill reading her thoughts in the book. HBO did an outstanding job by the way! I really enjoyed True Blood though I'm not up to date with the episodes now. There were a lot of differences in the book and True Blood, for one, near the end of True Blood, Bill risked turning into a vampire pile of dust going out into the sun to save Sookie whereas in the book, he wasn't in Bon Temps when Sookie was attacked (at night). When I read the summaries for the other books Sookie ended up with a shifter named Quinn then Eric and before reading Dead until Dark, that really baffled me because Bill almost died/burned trying to save Sookie, surely he meant it when he said he loved her, why and how did he "betray" (in one of the book summaries it said that after Bill's betrayal Sookie started to have feelings for Quinn) her? I really liked reading Dead until Dark in bed and am starting on Living Dead in Dallas tonight, Sookie's voice is really enjoyable and Dead until Dark isn't as heavy and intense as True Blood (season 1; also, Tara isn't in Dead until Dark and her story is a bit heavy for me, I feel for her) which is why I actually prefer it over True Blood (again season 1, I haven't reached the middle of season 2 yet). Perfect for light reading after a heavy day at work!



2 comments:

  1. Such a fun series! So many exciting new characters to come =)
    I'm really behind on the show too... I've read 11 of the books but only watched series 1, plus a few episodes of series 2.

    ReplyDelete