Friday, September 21, 2012

Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires #1) by Rachel Caine (3.5/5 stars)

Title: Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires #1)
Author: Rachel Caine
Publisher: Allison and Busby
Date Published: 2008
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Paperback: 348 pages
Rating: 3.5/5 stars


" It’s a small college town filled with quirky characters. But when the sun goes down, the bad comes out. Because in Morganville, there is an evil that lurks in the darkest shadows—one that will spill out into the bright light of day.

Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. The popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks on the school’s social scene: somewhere less than zero. And Claire really doesn’t have the right connections—to the undead who run the town.

When Claire heads off campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Hew new roommates don’t show many signs of life. But they’ll have Claire’s back when the town’s deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood."


I made a list of series that I need to finish this year and The Morganville Vampires is on it so I fed my reader the first ten books last week. I've read a lot of good reviews about the more recent installments, Black Dawn and Last Breath. In fact the book in the series that got the lowest rating was Glass Houses. I would have given it three stars but added another half star  because I was starting to enjoy the story near the end and the cliffhanger made me want to read the next book. 

Claire Danvers ended up crying by the door of the Glass House after she survived falling down several flights of stairs and not by accident. She was scared to return to her dorm because psycho queen bee Monica wants her dead and she couldn't help but be sorry for the situation she's in. It's hard enough being the teen genius who has to go to college two years earlier than other normal teens but then she also has to be the one to embarrass Monica in front of cute boys.

I don't find myself attached to Claire's character but add her to Eve, Michael, and Shane, and how they are together is endearing. I like their playful banter when they prepare food together. I also like that there's a political structure to the vampires of Morganville, I'm dying to know more about it. In this book, we see two significant players, one might seem weaker but the other has admitted that they are at an impasse by the end of the book. What I didn't understand is why Claire must stay in a university nearer to home when she has offers from MIT, Caltech, and Yale. The only factor her dad considered was proximity which doesn't fit his personality as described by Claire. If you want your daughter to succeed, you understand that the best thing for her future may be three thousand miles away and considering her track record, you just have to trust her to do the right thing even when you're not there. 

Glass Houses has mystery, a really good kiss and a lot of action!



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice series. Probably not going to start this series. I have a few others that I need to finish! :) Great review.

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete