Saturday, September 15, 2012

Switched (Trylle Trilogy #1) by Amanda Hocking (3/5 stars)

Title: Switched (Trylle Trilogy #1)
Author: Amanda hocking
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Date Published: 03 January 2012
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Paperback: 318 pages
Rating: 3/5 stars


When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. Eleven years later, Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. She’s not the person she’s always believed herself to be, and her whole life begins to unravel—all because of Finn Holmes.

Finn is a mysterious guy who always seems to be watching her. Every encounter leaves her deeply shaken…though it has more to do with her fierce attraction to him than she’d ever admit. But it isn’t long before he reveals the truth: Wendy is a changeling who was switched at birth—and he’s come to take her home.

Now Wendy’s about to journey to a magical world she never knew existed, one that’s both beautiful and frightening. And where she must leave her old life behind to discover who she’s meant to become…


I have no idea what trolls are. Like Wendy, these are the trolls I know: (lol)


(from Teresa Montgomery's Pinterest)

I used to have a bride troll and a rainbow colored hair troll when I was a kid but my grandma had my mama throw all of them out of the house (lol) thinking they were evil creatures. Switched started out strong, Wendy's birthday scene was creepy, add that to me having not the faintest idea what kind of creature she is and why she has to be switched with a human baby and all that made me excited to finish the book! I thought Finn staring at Wendy in school was cute and when Wendy's biological mother explained why Wendy was switched well that was the most unique story line I have read in quite a while! A good read. The mythology surprised me, but there were a few points that I didn't like. One, Wendy. She's a brat who has done nothing but cause sadness to her family who have loved her unconditionally. She has no redeeming attribute. Two, the ever present trope in YA books - instalove. By the end of the book, Wendy and Finn have become star-crossed lovers. It was Finn who brought her back to Trylle and saved her when she was attacked but to be so deeply in love with him after that when they have only met each other? Not believable. Her brother has shown her love, protected her, sacrificed for her for years and yet she hasn't shown any capacity to love back. Three, the Princess Diaries scenes were just not that engaging for me. Wendy would have done better if someone actually taught her before expecting her to know things like Trylle politics, after all, she has only known about Trylle for a short time. Will I pick up the other books in the series? Maybe. After I've read what's in my long long "to read books in a series" list.


2 comments:

  1. Oh no! Again that insta-love! Why?
    I'm curious about this series & probably am going to try it! Fingers crossed I will love them. ;)


    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope you like them! Read some reviews and they say the series does get better by book two :)

      Delete