Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass (3/5 stars).

Title: The Selection (The Selection #1)
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: Harper Teen
Date Published: 24 April 2012
Genre: Dystopia/Chick Lit
Hardcover: 327 pages
Rating: 3/5 stars

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined

I confess that I bought this book because of its cover (lol) I am utterly besotted with that dress! The Selection is said to be The Hunger Games meets The Bachelor, which is odd but definitely an interesting combination. I read this book right after it came out but didn't have the time to write a review of it then. I thought the dystopian elements had holes in a lot of parts and the pacing a bit slow sometimes but it can still be very enjoyable depending on the reader's tastes. If you want your dystopian book to explain satisfactorily how the present world came about, this book may not be for you. The explanation in the book just raised a lot of questions in my mind which made it lose a star in my review. But, if you just want to read something fun, like I did, then this could be a good book to pick up. 

The Selection sure is a fairy tale guilty pleasure read!




4 comments:

  1. I've seen this around and it sounds pretty cute and a light read, but I'll be putting it off before reading because I think I might not like it. Wonderful review, Jenny. I'll keep in mind once i do read it of my opinions. :)

    http://therandomranterer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Delaney! Always a pleasure when you drop by! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey I love the cover of this book... and your review is pretty helpful

    P.s.- your new follower.

    ReplyDelete