Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle #1) 
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Date Published: September 18, 2012
Genre: Paranormal
Hardcover: 408 pages
Rating: 2/5 stars


"Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.
"

I decided to read this book because I really liked the blurb, I was curious as to how the author would make Blue fall in love with a boy who is oh so wrong and having been told she would kill him with a kiss, what would make Blue kiss him if it would mean his death? While that story line is present, it isn't the central plot at all. This book is about a quest to find the Welsh king Glendower who disappeared when he was about to be captured by the English, having fought for his people's freedom. Legends say that Glendower didn't really die but is in eternal slumber waiting for someone to wake him. Whoever finds him and wakes him shall be granted a wish.

Gansey is the leader of the pack, keeping them together. He has all the money he could ever spend in his lifetime which makes him quick to offer money to others callous as to what they would feel about it. He offended Blue this way when they first met. Adam, on the other hand, is studying in Aglionby only because of a partial scholarship. He's serious, studious, and I think, because of his situation, he is sometimes overly sensitive to any help that Gansey offers. Ronan looks the part of a bad boy, with his tattoo and shaved head, and he acts the part too, not attending classes, fighting and swearing. Only Gansey can keep him under control. Noah's story is a big reveal which I have to keep a secret because it's a good one. Each character has his or her own story and the blurb is Blue's, these stories are what kept my interest and made me finish the book because I found the pacing frustratingly slow. I was particularly impatient reading the first few chapters waiting for Blue and Gansey to finally meet. In the end, it was the full of surprises cast that made The Raven Boys a two star book instead of a lone star book for me. I even loved secondary characters Calla and Persephone, some of the women/psychics who live in the same house as Blue's.

The Raven Boys was an okay book for me. If you don't mind the sluggish pace and it wasn't the book blurb that made you want to read it, borrow it from a friend or from the library!




8 comments:

  1. aww sorry you didn't enjoy it. thanks for the honesty though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I think this book is great. Too bad you didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! I am so eager to read this book, but so many people are saying that it seems very very dragged! When that happens, I just feel like giving the book up... Let's see, as per your advice, I'll simply borrow it from someone or somewhere! Nice review. :)

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been in my list for a while. I'm waiting to borrow it from the library because I'm not totally sure I want to invest $$$ in it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems it's great if you can take the pace. I could not. It was a DNF for me. I keep hearing the end is worth it, though. But, really gave it a valiant try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know it isn't what the blurb says, I hate when I'm expecting one type of story and get another...Beautiful blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this book, for the characters and the background stories alone. The acutal book was very slow. I had a hard time staying focused at times. The characters were great but I think the main plot lagged and kind of got lost along the way. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore Maggie Stiefvater. Her writing just gets me every time. The Raven Boys was no exception. I think it's right up there with The Scorpio Races as my favorite of hers. There were so many lines and sections that I highlighted. I love the phrases and sentence structure she uses. I love the quirky characters and the mysterious things going one. I admit, this book is a liter quieter to start with a slow build but I felt that really fit the story. So much love. I cannot wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete