Tuesday, January 29, 2013

TEN by Gretchen McNeil (3/5 stars).

Title: TEN
Author: Gretchen McNeil
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Date Published: September 18, 2012
Genre: Mystery Thriller
Hardcover: 294 pages
Rating: 3/5 stars


And their doom comes swiftly.

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?"


I didn't know that TEN is a retelling of a classic mystery book by Agatha Christie And then there were none when I picked it up for reading and review. The summary is just like a scene from one of my favorite anime, Case Closed (Detective Conan) and that made me grab it!

Ten high school teenagers in an island and someone is killing them one by one. To find out who it is, they need to figure out how they're all connected and soon, because the killer could be one of them. 


Juicy mystery.


As I said, I haven't read And then there were none which is why my review is about what I think of the book on its own and not as a retelling. 


To start off, Meg, the main protagonist of the story, didn't win me over. Her best friend Minnie is psychotic and abusive of their relationship which has potential as a great background story. However, Minnie's character is someone you just dislike or not have an opinion on instead of being someone that no matter how much you want to dislike, you just can't. (Like the antagonist in the Korean series Innocent Man!) Because of this difference in how I feel about Minnie, I can't understand Meg's misplaced loyalty to the point that the only role she knows how to play now is that of an enabler. The romance between Meg and TJ didn't make me feel anything as well. I understand that McNeil wouldn't want us to write TJ off the suspect list by writing about his grand gestures of love to Meg but I was waiting for at least one swoon worthy scene between the two of them that would make me think TJ asked Meg to the dance because he really liked her and he could be the killer who brought Meg to the island because of Meg's rejection. Then, if he turns out to be innocent in the end, I'll regret even doubting him for a second! (I'm surprised I actually remember any of this considering I read this book a while ago!) I did, however, enjoy the scene where the killer revealed himself, explained his motive and how he killed his victims. I'm giving this one three stars instead of two stars because I did feel the suspense especially the part where Meg and TJ looked inside the house in the island connecting theirs where there was a party the night before the storm hit them. What they found out in that house was such a chilling revelation it deserves another star. 



3 comments:

  1. I didn't know this book was related to the Agatha Christie's either! I read Ten and liked it. I didn't loooove it, but I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been curious about this book, as I read And Then There Were None for school and really enjoyed it. I think it'll be a library pick instead of buying it, as I've heard mixed things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog. I followed you on GFC. Please follow me back.

    www.mrtierneyslibrary.com

    ReplyDelete